No matter how much you take care of your Silvers, they are going to get dirty over time as they come in contact with water, dust or air. We often forget to take care of the jewels due to our busy schedules and we wear them every day without noticing. A thin layer of corrosion starts forming on the surface of the jewellery resulting in the dulling and formation of a dark layer which is known as tarnish. But the best part is you can clean them up at home. Just follow some simple remedies and your jewellery will be just like new in no time. You don’t need to pay a fortune to get your jewels cleaned or need a professional’s help for the same.
We have tried and tested all the best and worth methods of jewellery cleaning. We have come up with the best DIY (Do-It-Yourself) tricks for you which will be a lifesaver for your favorite jewellery. Let’s take a look at the different ways you can do to make your silver sparkling.
Hack #1- Baking Soda and Aluminum foil
Things required: vessel, aluminum foil, baking soda and dry cloth
- Take a vessel, line-up with aluminum foil and fill with boiling water.
- Add ¼ cup of baking soda to the vessel.
- Carefully place your tarnished silver jewellery into the vessel.
- Let it soak-in for 3-5 minutes into the solution.
- Take out with the help of a spoon or kitchen tongs.
- Dry the jewellery with a dry, clean cloth.
Hack #2- Toothpaste
Things required: soft toothbrush, toothpaste, dry cloth
Add some toothpaste to a soft bristle brush and start scrubbing your silver jewellery gently. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Rinse with water. Wipe it with a dry cloth.
Note: Don’t use on silver plated jewellery as the finish can get corroded.
Hack #3- Ketchup
Things Required: ketchup, soft toothbrush or sponge
Add pea sized ketchup on a soft bristle toothbrush or sponge. Start applying on the tarnished jewellery. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Rinse with water. Dry it with a cloth.
Hack #4- Dishwashing Liquid and Aluminum foil
Things Required: dishwashing liquid, vessel/ cooking pot, aluminum foil, toothbrush, dry cloth
- Line-up cooking pot with aluminum foil and fill with water
- Let the water boil and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid
- Place the silver jewellery carefully into the pot
- Let it sit for 5-7 minutes. Remove carefully using kitchen tongs.
- Clean with a soft bristle brush to clean edges and crevices.
- Rinse with warm water and wipe it with a dry cloth.
Hack #5- Lemon and Salt
- Add some salt and water to a vessel and let it boil.
- Now add few drops of lemon to the boiling water.
- Carefully place your silver jewellery to the boiling water.
- Remove carefully using a spoon and slightly rub with a soft bristle brush.
- Dry it using a clean cloth or silver cloth.
Voila! Your silver jewellery will be good as new!